click here to print this page
Day 1: Arrival in Addis Ababa
WELCOME TO ETHIOPIA. On arrival in Addis Ababa our representative will meet you at Bole International Airport. After transfer to your hotel an overview of the program will be given. The rest of the day visit historical sites in Addis Ababa including the National Archaeological Museum, where the 3,6 million year old skeletal remains of Lucy rest, which were discovered in 1974. Proceed to the Ethnological Museum at Addis Ababa University, the Holy Trinity Cathedral and Mount Entoto, which rises up to an altitude of 3200 meters and offers a panoramic view of the metropolis. Overnight in 4-star hotel
Day 2: Drive Arba Minch
Drive to Arba Minch via Wolayta Sodo. En route visit the Gurage people and their village. Arba Minch - meaning 'Forty Springs' in Amharic - takes its name from the bubbling streams that cover the forest and the flats of the town.
Day 3: Doze Village, Lake Chamo
After breakfast visit the Dorze tribe and their village, famed for their bee hive shaped houses and their weaving skills. Weaving is a primary profession for many Dorze. They are also farmers, who prevent soil erosion by ingenious terracing of the mountainsides. Around their huts they have their own little garden with vegetables, spices, tobacco and enset (false-banana or musa ensete). In the afternoon take a boat trip on Lake Chamo, where you can spot many hippos and a most spectacular concentration of giant crocodiles. The water birds are great the scenery is truly unforgettable. Locals fish here in traditional boats for Nile Perch.
Day 4: Drive Jinka
After breakfast drive to Konso where you visit the Konso people, known for colorful dresses and unusually engraved wooden statues, used as grave markers. Continue along impressive land terracing to the village of the Woito people, near the Woito river. On the way to Jinka stop at the Key Afer Market (Thursday is market day), a tribal market, where different ethnic groups gather to sell and buy their agricultural products.
Day 5: Jinka Mursi - Jinka - Turmi
After breakfast leave Jinka and drive to the Mursi village to visit and appreciate the very attractive culture of the Mursi tribe. They are renowned for the strange custom followed by their women who, on reaching maturity, have their lower lips slit and circular clay discs inserted. Then drive back to Jinka and continue to Turmi through Dimeka to visit the Hamer people and their village. Turmi is a small town, which is the base to visit the Hamer village.
Day 6: In Turmi
After breakfast drive to Karo viilage and visit the Karo people in the afternoon visit the hammer village. Hamers have remarkable hairstyles made from ochre, water and binding resin. They rub the mixture into their hair then twist the strands repeatedly to create coppery-colored locks. This is a sign of wealth and welfare. Hamers are considered to be masters of body decoration.
Day 7: TurmiYabello
Drive to Yabello visiting the Arbore and the Tsemay people en-route. After lunch stop at Konso, continue to the region of the Oromo Borena and visit their village. They are well known in cattle rearing. From their deep singing well they carry water to their cattle by forming a long line of people and passing on the buckets while singing.
Day 8: Yabello - Awassa
Drive from Yabello to Awassa through the beautiful Sidamo mountains and wide coffee plantations. In the late afternoon walk by the side of Lake Awassa
Day 9: Awassa - Addis Ababa, Departure
Drive back to Addis along the Great Rift Valley lakes. Visit the fish market in Awassa, where local people buy fish from the fisher men. En route we stop on the viewing points of Lake Shala, Abyta and Langano. In the evening a farewell dinner party in one of traditional Ethiopian restaurants with dances from the different ethnic groups. Afterwards transfer to the airport for departure.
- Price per person (on the basis of 2 travelers) = US $ 1,982
- Price per person (on the basis of 3 travelers) = US $ 1,750
- Single room supplement = US $ 200
- Special qualified guide as well as mandatory local guide and scout fees in parks and villages
- 4-star hotel in Addis Ababa and the best available hotels outside of Addis Ababa
- All accommodation based on twin room occupancy
- Meals in Addis, on bed and breakfast basis
- Meals out of Addis, on full board basis
- Farewell dinner in Addis to enjoy traditional Ethiopian food and music
- All entrance fees at sites, churches, parks and villages
- All transfers and visits in Addis Ababa using mini-bus according to the itinerary
- All ground transportation including insurance, fuel and all costs of the driver
- Boat trip on Lake Tana
- Traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony at a convenient time in the program
- Government taxes
Price doesnt include
- International flights
- Lunch and dinner in Addis Ababa
- Any kind of drinks, alcoholic or non-alcoholic
- Video filming and photographing fees
- Incidental meals, snacks and drinks
- Tips and items of personal nature like laundry, souvenirs, etc.
- All what is not included in the list above