One of Ethiopia’s primary attractions is her abundance of historical sites, unique in sub-Saharan Africa. While much of the history is impenetrably bound up in myth and legend, a great deal of it is well documented. The path to Ethiopia’s famous and fascinating historic sites takes you through magnificent scenery to places with names, which could be out of a fairy tale.
In general the historic route that covers all the historical attractions of Ethiopia includes:
- The archaeological & religious sites of Axum
- The ancient city of Sabeans, Yeha (5th BC)
- The rock churches of Tigray
- The 13th century rock-hewn churches of Lalibela
- The 17th century castles of Gondar
- Lake Tana and its island monasteries near Bahir Dar
- The 1000-year-old Muslim Town of Harer and the nearby town of Harar-Dire Dawa.